I reported for the organizers when they called for "important men" to attend the workshop. Later, I was updated by them that some 180 had responded to the "call of a woman journalist" and had registered and paid for the workshop. I thought that was great. Few days before the workshop, I read that the world would mark International Day of Families on May 15 themed "Father and Families: Responsibilities and Challenges". I thought, the workshop would be newsworthy.
I was actually very curious of what would be discussed at the Seminar. But, the organizers would not allow female journalist to go. So, I sent a male journalist. I suggested to this male journalist what to cover and who to talk to. My suggestions are what I am eager to know! The woman shut outside still got to know what she wanted to know anyway. There is always a way when there is a will!
Now, what have been discussed? My male journalist reports,
The candid observation of the speaker, Gorsuch: "While it is true that fathers are breadwinners for their families, there is a growing need for them to take on a more engaged role in their families in the light of the changing socio-economic environment."
His bottomline? "What I am saying is simple, as fathers they need to be involved in both the spiritual and emotional development of their families."
What does he suggests? "Do little things like taking our children to a movie for example. Such actions may appear minor to us but to them, it means a lot. Always bear in mind. They are still young and need us to be around. They model almost everything around us. In fact, research has shown that when fathers are engaged with their children, they tend to perform better in school and exhibit healthier behaviour".
His straightforward observation? "I think we have just missed the best part of the show - to see our children growing up."
He speaks from his personal experience of a missing Dad at home. He says that major social problems can be traced back to the fault of men being passive rather than proactive.
What has other men in the workshop said?
Daniel, the Deputy Mayor of the town says, "To win the friendship of children, we need to be like what the business world called customer service officer, who is friendly and comfortable to talk with."
Rev Dr Tie, principal of Methodist Theological School, notes, "Find time to talk to your children and I am sure they have much to say."
Rt Rev Doninic Su says, "As husbands, they need to be understanding and be supportive of their wives." He was citing example of working women.
My friend, Dato James Tai, also a corporate figure speaks of the globalized world with new challenges that needs father to provide good leadership for their families.
The speaker notes - "While major roles will not change, there is no better way to raise their children than an engaged father and mother. There is absolutely no replacement for this."
Beyond the Men's Matters, the speaker, Gorsuch also shares in a pure women's meeting. I have a file picture of the speaker, Gorsuch speaking to women in the Asia Fellowship two years back in Singapore. Identify me there?
6 comments:
Those big 'kampong' families of three or even four generations have to break up, move into smaller homes, to accommodate land re-development in the name of economic progress; this is more conspicuous in land-scarce countries (like Singland). Now we are seeing mostly two-generation families - couples with children, no older folks.
With much higher living costs, the traditional role of man as breadwinner is disappearing fast, and many women are now gainfully employed to help out the expenses. Without older parents, a couple usually seeks the service of a maid or a childcare centre. It's an interesting thought why many younger couples prefer to employ maids rather than have their parents to live in with them??
Today, it's not just man that matters, but a woman equally matters if not more (think of single parent family)... so we can safely say children are both man's and woman's matters, and children need both parents to grow up normal because there's a telling difference in the future, if one parent has not been close enough to the children (does not mean just going out together, my view only lah!)
I see you, third one from the left!=)
Thanks for sharing this, and it's wonderful you convinced almost 200 men to attend, wow! And what great reminders the speaker gave, that not just the dad, but mom too, of the more engaging and personal role we have to play.
Joe,
It's always a delight hearing you out loud for you do think aloud. It's a mixture of traditional and modern thinking.
I am looking forward to our next cup of coffee in Sing-Land!
bp,
It really surprised me with the overwhelming response of 200 men and it's a day's workshop.
Whenever we organized talks, there are always more "female" than "male".
The punchline of the article that I wrote was -
If that is not enough to convince men to register for the Seminar, here is one more motivating factor for women to register for their husbands. One of the sessions of the seminar is about finding a new best friend in the wife through which the participants are given ten practical ideas to build a romantic and biblical marriages and discover how to make the wife the top priority, after God.
Probably, many women responded! Unfortunately, not this woman here:)
i see you at back row, third from left.
anyway, i think that seminar is a good thing. cos if they have women in there, they'd kind of feel obligated to be speaking for the action but if it's a just for men, they have a little more space to speak out.
there was once when i had a debate with my other half about this. because he sometimes do think that the women takes care of the kids', home and planning. as much as i love to, but i argued how often does he come back and know what his kids are up to and how they have done in school even if it's just for the day's homework, activity and other milestones. I have a workoholic other half, thus need to be awaken too.
constance,
Your other half trusts you enough to leave a large role for play in children raising.
Shared responsibility, though.
Keep working, no one family just stops there. Even "seniors" like me and my hubby still works hard :)
Post a Comment