Thursday, May 15, 2008

Running on Empty



Chris asked recently, "Mummy, have you ever run on empty?" He meant driving my car with the gas tank gauge signaling EMPTY.

Yes, I once ran into empty. The car stopped. It was raining heavily outside. The petrol station was only a hundred meter away. A colleague on motorbike saw me in distress. He went to the petrol station and came back with a bottle of petrol and filled up the tank.

When you are running on empty, there is always someone coming to rescue. I remember this colleague - who remains a journalist to this day. Occasionally, I read his "by-line" in the Sun.

I have a childhood dream of losing my shoes while sitting at the jetty. I also dreamed of getting panic because I forgot to wear my shoes to school. It was desperate running on empty feet, even when it was in a dream.

Few years ago, I shared this dream with a group of Girls' Brigade Officers who were attending a leadership training course facilitated by me. The dream fitted in one of the sessions and I was prompted to share it - my inner secrets. One lady from Miri said this, "Madam, could it be because you were not fully prepared on some forthcoming events that you dreamed the dream?"

I thought she made quite a lot of sense. I conscientiously make an effort to be fully prepared way before hand for some upcoming events from that day on. And since then, I have not dreamed that dream!

When you are running on empty feet on some worrisome journeys, there is someone there to enlighten you how to run better! I do not need to be perturbed by it.

For the previous few weeks I had minimised my sleep because of busyness. I was physically exhausted. My schedule had become so packed that I could hardly find time to attend to needs of the children. Yes, the children have grown up. But, they do have needs like - talking to mummy, dinning out, some school activities to discuss. Rachel said, "Mummy, do you know that there is a new dining place at Wisma Sanyan?" Oh? I have not been to the place that we love to window shop and have pizza hut's deli wings or her favourite's "Mee Mamak" for ages!

On days like these, children would fill in the forms they need to turn in to the school, put in on the table in my bedroom, with a pen ready for mummy to sign! They would even request to car-pool with friends to tuition centres so that mummy does not need to rush!

When you are running on empty with no time, you could draw much form the loved ones - you know they are there, you know they care!

Then, at times, even when you are packed with church activities, you are actually running on empty spiritually even when you are using your gifts and talents. But, deep down, you know you are "dried-out".

I host a cell group (bible study group) in my house once a week. Members in the group would always help me navigate the spiritual rocky bumps or emptiness in the fellowship. Someone said that fellowship means people - imperfect but important fellow travelers on the highway to heaven! And more importantly,

If two or three people come together in my name,
I am there with them. - Matthew 18:20

With God's presence, even when our gas tank gauge signals EMPTY, we know we are never alone.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for continuing to share here. Whether it's at Wesley Jubilee, Wesley 40DOP, Yan's Corner, you continue to bless others with your thoughts!

Running on empty? I think you are always full of energy!

pt

James TC Wong said...

xD

bp said...

Yan, may you be recharged, the joy of the Lord be your strength. But do pause and take deep breaths in-between your hectic schedules, and various commitments, and take very good care of yourself, yah, not just those you love and care? It's wonderful to see Chris and Rachel being so sensible, and not bother you with the little things. You've taught them well!

Have a good weekend now! God bless!

Yan said...

pt,

Thanks for the encouragement. Running on empty, but drawing strength from Him above.

Yan said...

James,

I am still learning all the signs and symbols. What actually is xD ?

Yan said...

bp,

The joy of the Lord is our strength - Amen to it. And thanks for the reminder, it seems I have forgotten this song!

Anonymous said...

stumbled onto your blog. Inspiring posts. Great coming across a methodist blogger. Thank you!!
-klwmc-

Yan said...

klwmc,

Thanks for dropping by. That's nice - methodist blogger! Probably, a bit out of routine!