The old Mother Goose rhyme says,
Monday's child is fair of face;
Tuesday's child is full of grace;
Wednesday's child is full of woe;
Thursday's child has far to go;
Friday's child is loving and giving;
Saturday's child works hard for a living;
But the child born on the Sabbath day
Is bright and blithe and bonny and gay.
Monday's child is fair of face;
Tuesday's child is full of grace;
Wednesday's child is full of woe;
Thursday's child has far to go;
Friday's child is loving and giving;
Saturday's child works hard for a living;
But the child born on the Sabbath day
Is bright and blithe and bonny and gay.
I am a Friday's child. Chris is a Tuesday's child while Rachel is a Thursday's child. Hubby was born on a Monday.
We didn't choose the day we were born. I do not accept the "fortune" associated with the day. However, I like the rhyme. It reminds me that how I am going to use each day of the week is really up to me.
My friend of over 25 years, Rhoda, is a person who is always loud, cheerful and sunny. For the 25 years that I have known her, she is so. Even now, a mother of 3 young children, she lives the day that is "full of woe" as a victor with more than enough to be "loving and giving".
The picture I captured are some of the little things that she gave me over the years. Whenever we meet, whether in church, in school (waiting for children) or just on the street, she would always have something nice to give me. Those little things - I treasure, as much as I treasure our friendship.
Like me, she is an early bird, she would text either a bible verse, or some wisdom to my handphone for me to begin my day - that is almost every other day. Sometimes, it encourages. Sometimes, it cheers me up. Sometimes, it puts a smile on my face.
Rhoda must have her days like Wednesday. But she chooses to live every day like Friday. She chooses a gratitude attitude - filling her days with freedom, joy, giving, loving and delight!
2 comments:
My older 2 kids and I are all full of woe, and Little D is a friday child! Believing in it can sometimes make it a self-fullfilling prophesy, so better not to, I say!
I am a Monday child too! :)
But you are right, why should we live our life believing the "fortune" that's been associated with our birth day? We have a choice to make and it's wonderful to be able to do just that.
For what it's worth, I truly feel that your birth day's "fortune" describes you very accurately. :)
And your friend Rhoda, she is such a gem :)
Post a Comment