
It was a last minute plan for a short holiday. In real sense, hubby “demanded” a holiday and for that reason, I “asked” him to pay for all expenses, plus some more allowances! Well, it’s my birthday, a birthday bash, you may call it. And he gladly wrote a cheque and I went happily to the bank while planning for a budget travel and keep the balance!
Well, just a birthday, No big deal. It’s mute reminders that more sand has passed through the hour glass. But each birthday is a milestone … it has its significance. If you boil the years into minutes, I have experienced over millions of them!
Talk about feeling old!
On the first day of this year, when my evergreen journalist Raymond Tan celebrated his birthday, I mused that because his cake could not hold all the candles, so we saved the cake and gave him a wallet for him to keep his monies that he must have saved aplenty over the years. Secretly, I dreaded that eleven months later if my colleagues will to buy a cake for me, if they could put on all the candles, the frosting would melt before I’d be able to blow all of them out!
Having a birthday at the close of the year is always a timely reminder of the perfect prayers by the psalmist –
So teach us to number our days,
that we may present to Thee a heart of wisdom.
(Psalm 90:12)
It was in November that I usually start to plan for next year. I mark my calendars (or rather my Palm Treo) with events and deadlines. I make annual appraisal of what I have achieved over the years. And should I have things not done, I still have two months to get them organized.
I always muse myself of this “7Eleven” birthday. There is no 7Eleven store in Sibu, but I spent considerable time in Singapore where in every other street, there is such a convenient store. This 24-hour store is like lifelines to many people where you could find all that you need at wee hours.
Birthdays are also built into our calendar each year as lifelines by God. It enables us to make an annual appraisal of the depth of our life – not whether we have met the deadlines, but whether we have fulfilled His purpose in our life, whether we have been faithful to the small, obscure tasks that He entrusted on us.
As I cruise along Mekong River, as I walked through the Saigon streets which are intriguing mixes of past and present, Lord, help me to stop and reflect - Am I just growing old? Or am I also growing up? Are there marks of wisdom that were not there when I was much younger?
Teach me to number my lifeline as God’s deadline!
(This is a scheduled post. I do not have my laptop with me this time though there are so many deadlines to meet in work! But, but, I have my blackberry, probably my lifeline!)
11 comments:
you blog this in vietnam? there are internet services?anyway happy birthday and be safe..i miss you alot..
Happy Birthday Yan! Have a great holiday :)
A relaxed mind, a peaceful soul, a joyful spirit, a healthy body and a heart full of love - all of these are my prayers and wishes for you. Have the best of birthdays and wishing you many, many more to come!! Enjoy urself there!
Chris,
I did not blog this one in Vietnam. It was a scheduled post - I did it before I left home and scheduled it to appear on 7th Nov, my birthday day.
Yes, there are internet services here and it is FREE in many hotels.
Miss you and Jie-jie.
dobbs,
Thanks for the wishes! Blessings.
suituapui,
Your prayers and wishes say them all! Enjoying the time here at Ho Chi Minh so far - and much more to go!
enjoy your trip, yan.. life is full of surprises too. sometimes being away to third world countries opens our eyes too and we count our blessings. and they can be very contagious even online.
生日快乐!
虽然已过了一天!哈哈。
你的华文部落格怎么停了呢?
你现在还在越南吗?
7/11
Happy Birthday.
God always throws us life lines. And I am sure you yourself have become a lifeline to many.
Sometimes life lines come to us with a punch and we wake up to know that God is Great. We need the wisdom to know the difference.
Another lifeline - if one cannot go for a cruise - a biccyle ride along a river bank to see the tide coming in is good enough.
You have many lovely thoughts.
That places a new meaning in birthday cruises! Happy birthday, Yan :)
Yes, I remember the 7 Eleven from your post last year, and blur me had to ask you what it meant, hehe!
Wow, has it been a year of knowing each other?! Yay to your birthday! Yay to our blogger-ship ;p
Blessings to you... overflowing, Yan!
Post a Comment