Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Baker and the Banker

The landmarks and basic urban layout of Ho Chi Minh City owe much to the 86 years of French rule.

There are grand hotels, a baroque post office, Opera House, Cathedral. These are the remnants of the "Paris of the Orient" that the French and Vietnamese enjoyed in the colonial era.


Walking along the side boulevards lined with stately trees and magnificent French villas, for a moment, I was fooled by the smell of coffee and baking bread.



Then, I was confused - a Diet bank? It must be American's - the slimming economy! Or "Diet" before you can go banking in money! (Anyway, this is Bank of Foreign Trade of Vietnam, its motto could fit a person on diet - Always for our customers' success :)

The sounding of the horns did the rude awakening and the little bird told me - it's not France, it's not America, it's HCM City or Saigon


Even in your thought, do not curse the king,
nor in your bedchamber curse the rich;
for a bird of the air will carry your voice,
or some winged creature tell the matter. (Ecclesiastes 10:20 RSV)

4 comments:

Jo said...

Yan, I am hungry!! Really wouldn't mind that baguette and sunny side up! :)

I would love to go to Vietnam someday soon... HCM and Hanoi.

I learnt from a Discovery Travel programme, that Hanoi is Anthony Bourdain's favourite place for best food!

Yan said...

jo,

That was my breakfast for the five days there! Provided by hotel lah.

Bengbeng said...

i am really enjoying yr trip. thru yr tales n pics it is like i am traveling oso :) thanks!

Yan said...

bengbeng,

Vietnam is really beautiful place - beautiful people too! My next plan is Hanoi!