Sunday, May 23, 2010

Men do not live on bread alone

Few years ago, I read Mireille Guilano's book titled, "Why French Women Don't Get Fat – The Secret of Eating for Pleasure". The basic advice of this book is – Eat only good food (as in good quality). Relax and savor every bite. That's French way of eating, as told by Guilano. French have elaborate food rituals. They go to the market several times a week and eat only what's in season. By eating better-tasting food and savoring it more consciously, "fool themselves" into being satisfied with less.

The book said French women eat with their head not the stomach.

In Guilano's book, it is specifically mentioned that the women must master "the useful art of self-deception" – mentally balancing the pleasures of food against the competing desires to fit into the latest fashions and to be attractive to French men, who she says like their wives to be "very elegant, very thin."

Is that eating with the head not the stomach?

I do like this piece of wisdom from Guiliano's head -

I sometimes do have a ravenous appetite. When I do, I drink a big glass of water, which reduces the void somewhat, then wait a while and eat something. Most of the time we are thirsty rather than hungry.

So, how French are you? It means thinking of water, not the hamburgers, fries, ice-cream, pastry, chocolate…

See how I ate while in France.

I am not going to talk about the FOOD. Just showing pictures of what I ate while in France! Was it Napoleon Bonaparte who said that a picture tells a thousand words?

So, ladies and gentlemen, men do not live on bread alone ....

This first batch of four pictures were the welcoming lunch at the hotel that we stayed in Toulouse -





Then the next two pictures were taken during the welcoming dinner - we had the duck fillet, I did not order the sinful desserts. I slept very well that night because that was all I had!



The lunch at the aircraft manufacturing centre, ATR. I wonder whether the staff there were served with such fine food! After this lunch, it was the official function, so it sort of burn some calories, not forgetting that we walked through the city of Toulouse in the morning! Singful indulgence it was!





The farewell dinner hosted by MASWings in Toulouse.




And this is the food served on our very own ATR (the newly delivered) aircraft from Carcassonne to Paris! Now, hold on, you won't get this food when you fly MASWings in Sarawak and Sabah!




Read a better story of Toulouse published in The Sunday Post here -
Toulouse - where the past blends with the future

6 comments:

stay-at-home mum said...

Looks like they fed you really well on that Toulouse trip!

well, I am trying very hard to eat like the french ...small bites, but sometimes I do give in to the temptation and indulge!!

Ensurai said...

Wow lovely food ....as French as can be...

No way one can eat like this in Miri!

suituapui said...

Ya...we eat rice and noodles too! LOL!!! Drool...drool!!! Authentic French food! Looks out of this world!!! Must be sooooo delicious!

Superman said...

I guess I will starve to death as the portion of the food is so small. Hehe. Can't even fill half of my big stomach. LOL!
Asian always eat very fast. Seldom really enjoy the foods. Western people really take the time to have their foods with a sip of wine on every bite.
The authentic french food looks super delicious but I guess also super expensive.

bp said...

this post is making me so hungry, i want to go to Toulouse also, haha.

but don't think can rely on just water to quell hunger. guess i am not French at all in that sense! i am a rice and noodles person tho', Chinese/Asian thru' n thru', hehe!

Jo said...

Looking at all these food pics is making me feel hungry... and if I recall correctly, I've just had my lunch one hour ago. *_*