Thursday, February 5, 2009

What Next?

This is where Rachel (daughter) will be staying for the next one year.

The background picture is the Lodge. Then, the room - it's fully furnished and I think it's decent and spacious.

The next picture shows the common area - the kitchen, the living room, the place where the lodgers can play music, play pingpong, watch TV etc. The background picture is her next door's hostel mate who hangs it outside her door - Organized people are just too lazy to hunt it!

So, what next? For her, it should be exciting. She texted me telling me that she has toured the campus, she has met her academic counselor and I feel so happy for her that she would be streamed to do English Literature instead of the normal English! I am sure STP would be very proud of her, after all, she spent a year or so in his English class!

What next? For the mother, it's realization that -

Children are gifts from God to us, gifts which we never "own" but of which we are stewards, in a way so deeply understood by Hannah in the Old Testament (1Sam 1:28)

I have actually learnt much during the one week's stay with Rachel in Adelaide in a new environment where we learnt together - moving around in a new place, finding our way, coping with the hot weather, even planning no-fuss meals that's economical yet nutrious and interesting. I am glad that I have made that trip. To quote a pastor, Soo-Inn Tan, who wrote when he "gave wings to his son" to fly,

So, by the grace of God, I want to see my children rooted in God and His Word. But I also want them to be all that they can be, flying to their full potential. And that means that there will come a time when I have to release them. But I am also beginning to discover that, if by God's grace, your children grow up well, you connect with them again at a different level, in a different type of relationship, one that has its own set of joys and challenges.

And sure, what next? It will be another story on another day!

Now, what next? I shall take a break until probably Sunday I shall be back. Reasons: Photos not organized, will be on travelling, lessons to prepare for my GB Ministry...but do come back for more about the City of Churches!

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad for you that you were there to help Rachel settle in, and I'm excited for her and may she be blessed in this new chapter and continue to be a blessing to all around her, and let there be friends and Christian friends to encourage each other in their faith and to do their best to His glory! Praise God from whom all blessings flow!

Yan said...

bp,

Found her a Christian fellowship also. Thank you so much for your thoughts - I am always touched!

Blessings

Anonymous said...

So very nice...unlike the dump where my daughter is in Sg Petani, KEDAH! Teacher training institute - I've seen better hostels in our schools here!!! I really wonder how those people can run a state/country when they can't even manage a college properly! And I wonder where all the funds went.....

dobbs said...

Nice room! Glad to hear Rachel is settling in nicely :)

James Wong said...

Amen, Amen!

stay-at-home mum said...

The Lodge actually looks like a nice place. She must be so glad that you were there with her for the first week.

Yan said...

sutuapui,

We were also pleasantly surprised by the thoughtful furnishing of room and common areas! And most of all, the space!

Well, we really have much to learn from others.

Yan said...

dobbs,

The cupboards are so big that Rachel's one suitcase hardly fill a corner! I regret advising her not to bring this, not to bring that...

Yan said...

James,

Will blog about the Church in the coming week!

Yan said...

SAHM,

Well, I am glad that I made that trip. The night before I left, I was restless and could not sleep. We had actually done all things, except that we had not tried the bus trip back to her Lodge from her campus. And we did that the early morning on the day I left. And lo, it really did the magic of settling my heart! You will go through that one day :)

JOEPSC said...

Wow, you went through all that for peace of mind.. Rachel is blessed to have a mum like you!

Yan said...

joepsc,

BingXin (1990-1999)Bing Xin, one of the most prolific and esteemed Chinese writers of the 20th Century, wrote her famous article about Mother's Love which we all studied during our school days. When she was interviewed, she said that all mothers are the same, except that she expressed it in words!

I am really not that "perfect 100 mum". We are all struggling to be better mother and better daughter.

Constance Chan said...

it must be quite a mother and daughter bond in that one week alone, i'm sure.. she must be missing you too. the place looks nice, unpretentious and decent.

Jo said...

Yan, Rachel is so fortunate to have a mum like you and she will do well wherever she goes because she has the love and support of her family. Don't worry. She looks like a sensible young lady who has her feet planted firmly on the ground.

You should really use that shot of you holding the wine glass as your profile pic! :)

Yan said...

Constance,

Yes, it was a time of mother-daughter connection. Looking at the map, finding the location, walking under the sizzling over 40C was a challenge. Cooking together, snugging in a queen-size bed - hey, it was good times!

Yan said...

JoMel,

Ha, ha, she just texted me yesterday saying that there are more cupboards in others' rooms! I told her those cupboards in her room are more than enough for her to put her things, don't let that upset her! She replied, okok, the two repetitive "ok" almost jumped out of my phone to tell me - mum, you are nagging!

To be honest, (now a confession) I don't know how to change my profile pix! Ahem..

Jo said...

Yan, when you logged into blogger, click on "View my complete profile". This is at your right side bar. The link under your photo.

You will then be transferred to your profile page. Again, below your photo on the left, there is a link that says "Edit Profile". Click on that.

The next page will be where you edit. Scroll down to the Photograph section and click "Remove" to remove the previous pic.

After which, you Upload a new pic by choosing the file in which your new pic is saved in FROM your computer.

After that, remember to scroll down to the end and click on "Save Profile".

I hope it works "cross my fingers for you"

Anonymous said...

Ooo...Rachel's taking Literature? Cultured!!! Hahahahahaha!!! Well, she should manage pretty well - has a good head on her shoulders and the ability to think - something sadly missing in most students these days!

Bengbeng said...

it mus b difficult to let go. i hope my day doesnt come so soon. unlike Rachael.Benghui is not quite so independent. Agreed, give peas a chance. :) As for the dinner the other day, sorry I wasn't able to attend

Anonymous said...

i am not leaving any more message until your daughter leaves one herself. here is mom showing all her love for daughter but she does not even read and leave message. poor mom.

jt

Lee said...

Hi Yan, looks like a very well cared for place. Bet she'll be happy there.
And I am sure she'll exceed your expectations of her.
Best wishes to your daughter, Lee.

Yan said...

JoMel,

Thanks, it's really detailed. It will be a shame if I can't do it. Haha.. But, who knows? I may have to get back to you again for SOS.

Yan said...

suituapui,

Probably, our education system does not give much room for students to think. And worse still, many parents practically do the schools' assigned projects for their children. I am one of those lazy or may be not-so-learned mother who feel that my children can do many projects better than me. So, they have to do the projects with their classmates or alone. The only helping hand I have given to both children is the project on family tree.

Yan said...

Bengbeng,

There is always next time, I mean the dinner thingy. I hopped over to STP's, he is going to hold one soon, very soon!

The children grow up sooner than we think! In no time, Benghui will fly also, but I know, you will give him wind beneath his wings to fly!

Yan said...

jt,

WOW! you are still as "outspoken" - when I first knew you some almost 30 years ago!

Do drop by often and you can be a "silent" reader like my daughter. And of cours, I hope I still have some little thoughts to add some colours to your colourful life!

Blessings.

Yan said...

Lee,

Thank you! I have survived the first week without the sunny girl around! The weather here has not been as sunny as it is in Adelaide. But the gloomy weather is not over to loom over me anyway!

Celebrating Chap Goh May today (the actual date is tomorrow). This is the third time in two weeks that I am cooking a storm :)

William said...

Hi Yan, heard about you from my friend James Wong from Miri. May God bless you...

Yan said...

William,

Welcome to by blog!

Yes, heard and read a lot about you and your photography art from James!