Sunday, February 22, 2009

The grain of Life



Among my prized possessions are cookbooks. I read them more than I cook out of them! I do not like holding on to a cookbook and do the mixing and cooking!

I particularly enjoy cookbooks where the author shares a story with each recipe.

The newest addition is a book all about "Rice". The book contains dishes as diverse as the Italian risotto, American gumbos, Indian pulaos, Middle Eastern pilaffs and Southeast Asian rice noodles stir-fries, to name just a few!

Perfecting the "rice", the book also contains perfect risotto, perfect paella, perfect pilaff, perfect rice pudding, perfect sushi...

Well, I could just feed on the rice in pictures and be completely filled!

Do you read cookbooks?

9 comments:

ilene said...

Yan, I'm just like you - read more than trying them out! One reason is because, there are certain dishes that I don't fancy so will never give it a go. Sometimes I buy cookbooks just for the sake of that one particular dish that I like and the rest of the recipes are all repeats.

stay-at-home mum said...

I am just like you and ilene!! I just love looking at the pictures too, trying out only some of the recipes, occasionally. I once told my mum in law that if I were to only cook following one recipe a day , I will not be able to finish cooking thru all those recipes in the cookbooks in my lfietime. And to make things worse, I buy 3 or 4 cooking magazines every month ... just for the pictures and recipes!!

iml said...

When in any book stores,ultimately I'll end up browsing through the cookbook.When seeing any delicious recipe in the newspaper, I can't help but to cut them out.

Shionge said...

I love cookbooks and have quite a collection myself.

Jo said...

Hi Yan, I am ssssoooooo sorry! I just read your email! Please check my reply.

I am also a big fan of cookbooks. If you have the time, check out this book entitled "Chinese Feasts and Festivals: A cookbook" by S.C. Moey. It's really a fascinating book filled with gorgeous gorgeous illustrations drawn by the author herself. Her recipes are so awesome and inspiring!! It is now my no. 1 favourite in my bookshelf. I have already tried one recipe with great successs, and it is my aim to attempt ALL her recipes!

Another one that you might want to check out is "Fresh Eggs Don't Float" by Lara Depretrillo and Caroline Eastman. This one is more in the western cuisine context.. contains a lot of nifty ideas and useful techniques. I especially love the Stock and Sauces section.

Robin CHAN said...

yes, always like to read cookbooks..

looking at the pics:
and trying to understand how they make it.

never try to experiment though.. haha

Lee said...

Hi Yan my wife too loves cookbooks and has tons of them as well scrape books of recipies from newspapers dating back 40 years!

She loves going thru, reading some before sleeping. As well I look for her exotic dishes too on the Net.

Nice collection you have there.
Have a nice day, Lee.

JOEPSC said...

Haha.. at least you read them, I don't.. I just drool at the pictures.

FAD MOM said...

oh i'm a cookbook collector and love to cook/bake so much. i can just spend hours and hours reading recipes in the library. love libraries. i spot that grey book - the treasury of cookbook on your shelf.. lots of pics in them, i bot it from a salesman selling these books at the hawker centre for only $10. good buy huh.

i am also a fan of Amy Beh's cookbooks!


Constance