Friday, October 9, 2009

Reflections

In Singapore, a must-do thing on Sunday is worshiping at St Andrew's Cathedral. There had not been a time that I was not enlightened, whether through the worship songs or through the words of the preacher.

Rev Mervyn Moore ended his sermon on "Mirrors and Tongues" with the lyrics of a song by Cliff Richard, "Reflections". Incidentally, it is one of my favourites. It is the story of a man who sees himself in the mirror of his dream. He sees what he is really like - anything by a doer or the word! But something happens as he sees a reflection of his life story. He sees another reflection; it is a reflection of Christ, the one whom they crucified! Between the reflections he must choose!

Reflections
(Cliff Richard)

Last night I had a dream,
Through a swirling fog I walked along on the edge of a stream,
I heard somebody groan,
I stopped, looked into a pool,
And I saw the reflection of a fool
I saw the reflection of a fool.

Dragging him by his throat
Were the collar and the links of a chain,
On his shoulders a coat,
On his feet shoes of pain,
The coat was strife,
The chain was pride,
I saw the reflection, and I cried
I saw the reflection, and I cried

Tears for myself a fool,
A man chained by independence,
Gripped by despair so cruel,
My life was a lot of nonsense,
My eyes were closed, but in my mind,
I saw the reflection so unkind,
I saw the reflection so unkind

Sick of life - scared of death
My days just one long futility,
Feeling my emptiness, I cried "God set me free",
I looked once more - I don't know how,
But I saw the reflection changing now,
I saw the reflection changing now

A man was in my place
A man with holes in his hands and side,
A man I could not face,
The man I had crucified,
On him was my coat,
My chains and my shoes,
And between reflections I must choose,
Between reflections I must choose.

5 comments:

Jo said...

Yan, that's the church I attended back in my Secondary school days! And did you know that I am baptised in an Anglican church in Edinburgh? :)

Jo said...

was!

Ensurai said...

Nice to read Reflections on your blog.


Thanks.

(p.s. I like Streets of London......)

bp said...

glad you had such a wonderful, refreshing time in s'pore, at the conference, and being able to spend time with your hubby too! u have a great week coming up, n remember to take some BB breaks, don't work too hard!

suituapui said...

St Andrew's? Love the cathedral! It's good that they preserve all these in Singapore - like the Catholics' St Joseph's nearby at Victoria Street...and I think the other one is the Church of the Holy Family at Waterloo or is it Queen Street?

Yes, everything we do and think are reflections of who we truly are (and people can usually see through all the pretence and hypocrisy)...and we have the choice to choose how we wish to reflect ourselves but of course, it is not easy - would need a lot of faith and strength and God's blessings and guidance.