Friday, October 9, 2009

Panic, reset, default

My consultant said on one occasion, "Some people are addicted to blackberry." Later he "confessed" that he had me in mind when he made that statement.

That did not offend me because I mused myself as BB Yan or BB Phyllis. Not Baby, but BlackBerry.

On another occasion he said that in his country, one of the fears of the working class is that they have to return their blackberry to the company when they resign or being laid off.

That did not cause a stir in me either because my BlackBerry is mine. Connection fee paid by company though.

On Thursday when I landed in Singapore, I was in a few of panic-mode situations. The first panic was the poor visibility in a huge airport which I have not landed for more than two years. I was not able to see far to locate where the taxi queue was. I also remember that I could draw money from the ATM machine right coming out of the airport. But, there was no sign of it.

So, I asked and was directed. But was told that the ATM machine to my bank is a floor up. But just beside the taxi queue I saw few ATM machines and thought I saw DBS. I slotted in my ATM card and was informed that the transaction could not be processed. I need to contact the bank.

With some S$70 cash in my wallet, I took the taxi to the hotel.

The next panic was that my blackberry could not roam. Not only that, it kept on shutting down. I was not even able to open my address book!

The blackberry kept on roaming and shutting down, and soon, the battery went out!

I took a deep breath and decided that I just needed to get that BlackBerry out of my way!

And it was a great relief! I put my mind together and ran through telephone directory to get the first contact - and help was along the way, a phone, a phone card, and even some cash!

Yes, I survived by taking my hands off the panic button of the BlackBerry and hit the "Reset Button" and push the "Default Button" with God as the driver!

My consultant celebrated the victory with me with this -

Congratulations, you've made a significant step forward in switching off your BlackBerry!

3 comments:

Superman said...

that is really a bad day for you. haha. maybe the blackberry want to give you a day off and have some good rest. :)
Sometimes it is really scary when you are in other countries and what you expect turn out to be unexpected.
Luckily you still got your contact in the telephone directory. Flat battery is really something I hate the most.

Jo said...

bless that kind soul who "rescued" you! I am slave to my iphone too.. hohoho!

Ensurai said...

Out of the storm was a calm!
Out of panic room - a sublime thought!
How wonderful!