Monday, April 6, 2009

The Walk

“Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow.
Don't walk behind me; I may not lead.
Just walk beside me and be my friend.”
- Albert Camus
(French Novelist, Essayist and Playwright, 1957 Nobel Prize for Literature, 1913-1960)


Albert Camus said so. That's friendship.

It can be equally heartwarming when you have someone walking in front of you showing you the way, or to be more particular to tell you the "dangers" in front. That's how Chris, my 13-year-old son walks with me.

We were walking together to his school (while I walked to my office just across the road of his school) last week. He walked well ahead of me. I was quite far behind. In my office attire and office shoes, I was trying to catch up with his pace. I did feel a little not-so-happy that he was leaving his old mum behind.

Just as I was about to shout, "Hey, the old woman can't catch up.", he stopped and said, "Watch out, there is a big hole here." He was just standing in front of that big hole. Then, he moved on and stopped, "There are steps here which you can't see until you are very near."

The roads are full of hidden traps and dangers!

Yesterday, we were walking the 5.2km forestry park, and he did the same thing.

It touches me as much as how it touched me some few years back Chris wrote this. Years past, he is still that caring boy!

Thousands of miles away from home, Rachel, my 18-year-old daughter also takes her walk that touches me over and over.

On a telephone conversation with the Sunny Girl. She said she would be seeing a doctor because she is experiencing some pain on her legs. She said one of the church friend said she has Flatfeet thus too much walking causes some pains. She was recommended to see a doctor.

Then came the reason for too much walking.

"The weekly bus fare is A$10. It's too expensive. So, I take a walk to university which takes half an hour. It's safe to walk here."

I was touched to tears for her thoughtfulness. I could afford her to take a bus! But, she chooses the walk.

Sharing with you another walk. I promise, the last one - The walk with my mother.

9 comments:

Superman said...

Is that Bukit Lima Park? Seems a good place for jog? Might consider to go and jog there sometime.
You son is very caring!

I Am Sarawakiana said...

How fulfilling life is when one has a thoughtful son like that.

A real treasure!

Bengbeng said...

You have raised yr children well.

Just a Little Kindness said...

Sprinkle your children with love and they will show kindness to others.
Sprinkle your children with good values they will bear fruits of discernment and greatness.
May your garden bear great harvest.

Let us spread thoughts of kindness.

Yan said...

Superman,

It's the Forestry Park at Sentosa. A good place for jogging, certainly.

Yes, Chris is caring and helpful.

Yan said...

Sarawakiana,

The boy is so helpful that classmates seem to "take advantage" of him. One day, his MSN reads - "It's not difficult to D.I.Y. I also have a life." When asked the meaning, he said classmates keep on asking him to do things, so he puts up a fence!

Yan said...

Bengbeng,

Thank you. All children are gifts from God entrusted to us. Benghui is a good boy too!

Happy parenting.

Yan said...

Just a little kindness,

Thank you for spreading a little kindness here! Much needed and so timely.

Jo said...

Chris and Rachel are so thoughtful but that must be something you've taught them. :)