Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Following Jesus in Today's World (2)


Pass me not, O Gentle Saviour, Hear my humble cry.
While on others thou art calling, do not pass me by.

Do I really mean it when I sing this hymn? Deep down, do I actually say, Lord, don't call me, I am too busy. Lord, don't call me, I don't have much talent. Lord, please don't call me, call others. Lord, pass me by, I am so insignificant!

In the second night of the Revival Meeting for the Holy Week at Wesley Methodist Church, Sibu, Dr Bobby Sng shared the significance of the insignificant persons from Luke 8:1-3.

Just in a short passage of three verses, the men and women who gave themselves in service to the Lord brought out great profound truth that in God's eyes, all services are significant and essential!

I used to sing this chorus in my inter-school Christian Fellowship that Dr Sng said was also sang in youth fellowships in Singapore -

The greatest thing in all my life is knowing Him
I want to know Him more.
The greatest thing in all my life is loving Him
I want to love Him more.
The greatest thing in all my life is serving Him
I want to serve Him more.

"To be Christian is to know Him, but it's not enough. It's to love Him. The song does not stop here, it's to give service to the Lord. To follow Jesus is to give service to Him and to others as well." said Dr Sng.

Dr Sng said there are three circumstances that we give service. The first one is out of compulsion. For example the national service which we are required by law to serve the service. The second one is out of necessities. That is when we begin to make a living, when we count it a duty to support parents and families. So, we begin to give services.

The last one is out of gratitude. Someone has touched our lives and we give our service out of a grateful heart. there is a spirit of volunteerism. Dr Sng said this is biblical.

Three women were singled out in Luke 8. They were mentioned by name, Mary Magdelene, Joanna and Susanna. And others are also mentioned as "many others". Dr Sng said there is something that we can learn from these women.

Mary Magdelene suffered a life of misery with seven demons controlling her, until she met Jesus. Her life was wonderfully changed. She knew the meaning of what Christ had done in her life. And she served the Lord out of love, out of a grateful heart.

Then Joanna. She held a very important position - taking charge of a household. She represented those who are willing to serve Jesus with what she had.

Then Susanna. It was just a name, like many others.

Dr Sng said these were women in Jesus' time who served Him without concern for recognition. They were playing some insignificant roles, yet in Jesus' eyes. they were significant and precious.

Two important lessons were drawn out from the services of these women.

The first lesson - In the eyes of God, everyone of us is significant, everyone of us has a role to play.

The second lesson - In the eyes of God, every ministry is essential.

Use whatever we have to serve the Lord and others!

Indeed, Lord, pass me not!


2 comments:

suituapui said...

Do good...always and be like Him! Action speaks louder than words - be it in prayer or in song!

bp said...

What a beautiful message, and just the thing I need to hear, and to know that I know that in Jesus' eyes, we are always precious, always significant no matter how mundane a task or role we may think we play.

I used to sing that same chorus in Christian fellowship groups a long time ago, too!

Thanks Yan, thanks for sharing and for the reminder always of God's love in our lives.