Friday, August 22, 2008

R&R@Works

It has been a week of travelling. On Monday, I went to Mukah. The once-small-fishing-town now SCOREs*. Great things are in store! (*The Sarawak Corridor of Renewable Energy (SCORE) – the last of the economic development corridors. Mukah is within the corridor)

If you have been there, the first thought would probably the road condition. Yes, it was bumpy. I timed the travelling time - it was three and half hour bus ride. Having the thought of the relaxing time ahead, the rough ride was a joy ride in fact.

It actually only took me few hours to get works fixed. I am setting a news and sales office there. The trip is to fix the renovation works and meeting my journalist there. With no available means of getting back to Sibu, I would need to put up a night in Mukah. I have all the time in my hands!

A walk in the market.... I met this old woman and another two women at the same stall selling vegetables. It was about 2 pm that they were taking their lunch.

I was drawn to the beautiful picture of what the Scripture call "rest". Yes, having done what Jesus asks us to do, we are to sit down and rest, relax, and let him bear the pressure and the problems.


My colleague, Jamie, who travelled with me in this trip took my camera and caught the beauty of Mukah through the lens.

Here is the peace of the fishing town.




She also bought a pineapple at RM2.00, which we later enjoyed in the hotel.




I have been suffering from a "frozen shoulder" for months. It was a rare day that I could raise my left arm that high to tell of the "majesty of His creation". That day I did. My journalist, Aini was watching me doing the stretching. I guess it took him a lot of courage to ask this, "Madam, in fact, what is your age?" "What do you think?" I asked. He said, "30 something?"

Well, well, well, that really made my day! I am but one "vain woman".



I caught this scene on our way to dinner.






Here's our less than RM30 dinner for three persons at Oya, some 20-minute drive from Mukah town. Probably, news travel slow. This is the only place where prices of food have not gone up!

Tom-Yam Prawn - RM5 (this is one-third of the portion served)



The Crabs - RM10

It was not as great as those that I used to eat in Sarikei during my younger days. But, for the price that is - I would have to give it a star-rate too!





Kang-kong - RM3 Long-beans - RM3
Something like a home-cook. That made Mukah more like home with these two dishes!
Sotong - RM5













We had our dinner with the set of sunset and the beauty of His Creation. In Mukah, my heart sang:

Jesus I am resting, resting
in the joy of what Thou art
I am finding out the greatness
of Thy loving hearts.

5 comments:

James TC Wong said...

I'm famished just by looking at the dishes! xD

James TC Wong said...

Yan - who took yr pic (the one you're looking out at the sea with both hands up)? xD

Yan said...

James,

Food, food, food - Miri is also food paradise!

My colleague, Jamie took that pix :)

bp said...

I love that picture of you with arms outstretched! It screams, Hallelujah, Praise the Lord from whom all blessings flow... a picture of your cup overflowing with His love, His goodness! =)

P.S. It's always so nice to hear from you, and I like how whenever you can, you'll give me an update about yourself and the kids, and I know too how you're doing when I can't steal the time to pop over here for the complete version. Thanks Yan, for taking the time to care... and share =)

Constance Chan said...

wow, yan you have an eye for composition. you'd be a good photographer. i love the clouds and tree pic. it's so surreal.