The day actually started with a "romance". I was at the hotel lobby, and a French man (I suppose so) came to me and sang part of that Elvis' song to me - take my hand, take my whole life, too, for I can't help falling in love with you.. and he said, "Lady, do you know this song? This is what I want to tell you."
Wow! I was embarrassed. I remember I was in France. But I don't know what would French women do, so I smiled and said thank you in my Malaysian way.
Back to Toulouse! Famous for its terracotta brick buildings, Toulouse is also called "la Ville Rose". The tourism board promised its visitors "bound to be seduced by the incomparable Toulousain lifestyle, coupled with the wealth of its cultural heritage." It also boasts a city " at once both modern and proud of the legacy of its past".
And I have to agree that it is really not too boastful of the tourism board, Toulouse.
To add romance to the town, the city is also sometimes known as la cite des violettes - city of violets - because of its long association with the cultivation of the flower.
The violet is the emblem of Toulouse. The Violet of Toulouse is characterised by its bluish purple colour. It has a double flower (twice the usual number of petals) and is therefore larger than most other varieties of violet. It flowers from October to April. There is much ado about the sweetly scented, gorgeous purple blossom. I learnt from our tourist guide that celebrations are held every year in February - when everything is accentuated with violets and the allure of its deep fragrance fills the air. In celebration of the violet, even amazing fresh food such as breads, bonbons, salad dressings, gateaus and more...
A comeback in February for the festivals?
But that does not prevent one to feel this 200-year-old history town showing itself in an architecture of brick and tiles that is is typical of the cities, villages and farms.
There's really nothing like a stroll around the historic centre, walking alongside the Garonne and Canal du Midi.
The Canal du Midi was originally built as shortcut between the Atlantic and the Mediterranean. The 240 km long canal was designed in 1667 and it took 10 years, and 12,000 workers, to complete it. This was a huge undertaking in the 17th century.
The banks of Canal du Midi are used by cyclists and walkers today to explore. The canal runs from the city of Toulouse down to the Mediterranean port of Sète.

Stopping in one of the many cafes whose terraces spill out onto the streets gave me that feeling of gentleness and warmth.
The city is easily explored by foot, bike or by boat along the canal du Midi which has been classified as a World Heritage by UNESCO.
The banks of Canal du Midi are used by cyclists and walkers today to explore. The canal runs from the city of Toulouse down to the Mediterranean port of Sète.
From place to place, along streets and monuments, "la ville rose" meets history and reveals all its charms.
Enjoying Toulouse means taking time to live, the tourist guide said. It means strolling through the bustling streets, stroll through the market or just linger at an outdoor cafe.
The tour guide said that the atmosphere shows the personality of Toulouse people - authentic, friendly and popular.

4 comments:
Excellent photos! Which camera...you look French! hahahahaha.
Nice. Looks like a quiet little town. I love places like that - just sit around idling, enjoying a coffee and muffin and the delightful weather...the peace and quiet. So nice!
Wow! Wow! and WOW!
And you were wearing a shade of violet, in the city of violets!
you have found the fountain of youth.. u r looking incredibly youthful. i like these pics very much. hope there r more in this series
Post a Comment