Two years ago, when she asked if she could have her ears pierced, I said this, "If God wanted you to wear earrings, you would have been born with holes in your ears." And I counted myself "glorious" to say such wise and godly words.
A year later, she asked again. This time I reasoned, "Why don't you do it after your secondary school days. You can't wear earrings to school after all." I was buying time.
I was not an adventurous teenager. The only impetuous thing I'd ever done was probably going to a movie without dad's approval. I still remember how mad dad was. Dad was the manager of a cinema. We enjoyed many movies during the weekend. However, every movie must be screened by dad and approved by him. I could not remember what movie I watched without his approval. That was the protected environment that I grew up.
Yesterday, we went island hopping in Kota Kinabalu. I am really much more adventurous now than when I was a teenager, or even just a year ago. Look at how Chris (son) caught me in such sunny smile!
I am learning to Let Go!
Every daughter must have her adventures, she needs to create her own story to become her own person. No matter how much mothers, anxious for their daughter's safety or success, insists that they "go straight" to their destinations, daughters must always take their own circuitous route, and mothers can only watch and suffer, or watch or rejoice. - Josephine Evetts
I watched and rejoice - I did.
9 comments:
Let go!!! Aiyor...only then will they grow up to be their own persons!!! My missus didn't know how to let go...and my daughter had a hard time trying to cope on her own. I was glad she got Khidmat Negara as that helped prepare her to leave home. If you hold on to tightly, they may rebel...and then you'll have a BIG problem in your hands. My advice is...PULL, don't PUSH!
Woohoo! Look what fun Rachel and Chris had on that "flight"... can't be easy letting go, but when we let go (of anything, not just of our kids), we let God, yah? =)
And I rejoice with you, on this next phase of your mothering journey!
We have to "let go" in different stages as our children grow up.Let them learn and survive on their owm.They have to be independent.
suituapui,
What wisdom from a great father! I love your father-daughter connection, which is really quite rare! And I am learning to make that mother-daughter connection better!
She will be leaving home soon, very soon!
bp,
It's not easy to let go! But, we all have to go through that process!
She has her ears pierced yesterday. I thank God that it's only two holes, not a stretch of that!
Share with you this "horror" the other day. We were at the jetty ready to go back to Kota Kinabalu from Pulau Menukan (where they had the parasailing) when Rachel said, "Mum, you see that white man?" I looked and gosh! that white man had a "breast ring"! I whispered a prayer - Dear God, don't let me hear that she would want to do it also! Magically, she said, "Will you let Chris do that?" What a relief!
Mothers have really many stories to tell of their children!
How do mothers let go of their daughters?
There are sacred moments. In Joy Luck Club a mother talked to her daughter for the last time while brushing her hair. The poignant moment touched my heart. She let go of her daughter with good advice.
We too as mothers would have these moments of letting go...but we still have them in our hearts as they have us in their hearts.
We then continue to live moments of togetherness with our daughters. They just come and go..and we hold different moments in our hearts...
It is not hard to let go. We will have moments of them coming back to to the nest with great joy.
We will have lots of good memories and happiness with them throughout our lives.
Look at the never ending waves...
hahaha! *wipes brow* did chris hear what rach said?
i didn't get my ears pierced until i was about to get married, or was it after that?! don't remember now, but my peers do have those many earholes in a row back then already!
Hello,
How are you?
I am Jem and i am new here then i have started my blog also last october. it is so nice and very inspiring to read your blogs about your children, some points about life and etc.
Can i bookmark your site or even be included on the blogspots i follow.
God Bless you and your family
Thank you
Hi, Jem,
Welcome to my world. You are indeed a "Jems" - hopped over to your blog, and also linked yours to mine!
Sure, you can link yours with mine.
Blessed Christmas from my home to yours.
Post a Comment