Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Accepting an imperfect solution


After seven months of living in half darkness (Or semi darkness, to be exact), the Lord has let me see that living in half-truth is even more uncertain. Living in half darkness teaches me to be careful with every step and every move. Living in half darkness allows me to see more with my heart.

Living in half truth can be very intriguing. My half truth means different doctors give different views. I have seen three eye doctors and a physician, each hold their professional views with no compromise. In my dreams, I often had the pleasure looking at the doctors like how Chris did to the monkey in the picture! No offence meant for doctors reading this. I think I only have one doctor visiting my blog! I am not a doc-hopper, but circumstances warrant me to have a doc at each location as I live out of my suitcase for the past seven months.

So, yesterday, I had an eye surgery done. I do not have to live in half-truth now, and as my colleague said, accepting an imperfect solution . I may not fully agree with "our stand", but, just like accepting that God has His own will in my imperfect eye vision, He, too, shall see us through, if we submit to Him. Here it goes, accepting an imperfect solution!

A multiracial and multi-religious nation like Malaysia faces the constant challenge of keeping the ‘genie’ of racial and religious discord and violence in the bottle and now that the bottle has been opened by the ‘Allah’ issue, we are faced with the seemingly insurmountable task of putting the ‘genie’ back.

While both sides stand firm in the polemic on the right of Christians to use the word ‘Allah’ in their worship and publications, religious unrest is beginning to rear its ugly head, threatening to tear the very fabric of our nation.

The lifting of the ban in East Malaysia announced by Minister in the Prime Minister’s Department (Legal and Parliamentary Affairs) Datuk Seri Mohamed Nazri Abdul Aziz, in an exclusive interview with the KTS stable of dailies – The Borneo Post, Oriental Daily and Utusan Borneo, has partially addressed the issue but the debate rages on while the search for a solution remains elusive.

A logical way to deal with the issue is to go to court to seek a solution through the judicial process and that was what Archbishop Murphy Pakiam did.

The High Court ruled in his favour and logically this ruling should have gone a long way in resolving the issue, but it only stoked the fire of religious fervour leading to arson attacks on several churches and not even the stay of execution of the ruling following an appeal by the government could douse that flame.

Pakiam might have won a battle, but winning the war is another matter and it is not likely that the result of the government’s appeal against the High Court ruling will put an end to this controversy either.

And so we are now faced with an unsolvable problem that must be solved before the situation completely gets out of hand.

The only way to find light at the end of this long dark tunnel we are in, is to first accept that there is no solution that would satisfy everyone and that one party, or both parties, will feel aggrieved at whatever decision is arrived at eventually.

Ultimately, we will have to fall back on consultations in the search for a compromise. It is not likely to be perfect, but hopefully it can be one that lays the groundwork, no matter how flimsy, on which we can work towards national reconciliation and restoring acceptance of our religious and racial diversity.

Can it be achieved?

Given the present circumstances, it will be impossible if we are looking for a perfect solution.

We have to be sensible enough to first look for a way out and unite in scaling that long uphill road to reach the light at the end of the tunnel we are in.

And what about God’s will in this row over how we address Him?

Perhaps we are overlooking the key to the solution of the whole issue – the belief shared by Muslims and Christians in the submission to God’s will and guidance.

Despite their different perceptions of God, Christians and Muslims must not ignore the fact that they are worshiping the same God – the God of Abraham.

It is very sad that instead of standing firm on this common ground, we are instead mired in the morass of our differences.

17 comments:

doc said...

although i believe in standing for the truth, we would do well to overlook someone else's fault/shortcoming.

now that the court process has started, it should be followed to its "just" conclusion. if the appeal is ruled against the herald, i think that decision should be accepted, & not challenged at a higher court. be gracious in defeat, i say.

but should the appeal rule in the herald's favour, they would exhibit much grace if they voluntarily withdraw themselves from the use of the word in their publication. for blessed are the peacekeepers. besides, he who is greatest must be last.

there can be no victory when anger is stoked, properties are damaged, & God forbid, lives are lost.

isn't a rose by any other name would smell just as sweet?

& yes, if you need any medical assistance when you're in town, you know how to seek me out.

Ensurai said...

Hope you will recover from the operation soon. May the Grace of God heal you.

The Herald might have won the appeal but the enmity is still there. It is like a divorce case. The wife might have won the case but the in laws still feel wronged no matter how right she has been.

Hope that time will heal and that God will open minds. Christians and Muslims have been fighting since 660 AD. When will it stop? But good Christians and good Muslims have been mending walls too in stories which warm the hearts.

iml said...

Speedy recovery.

ilene said...

Wishing you a speedy recovery Yan.

Anonymous said...

That's great! You will be much better than half-healed!

Another doc

stay-at-home mum said...

A speedy recovery, so that not only will you be able to smell the roses, but also see them clearly.

This "row" I really dont understand. Why is the Government the one appealing? I thot your PM said that they should accept the court's ruling! I still believe religion and politics should not mix.

Yan said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Yan said...

doc,

We tend to "see" more than we "feel" or listen to that small still voice. Therefore, a rose, if not seen as a rose, we don't smell it like a rose!

The opening line of the 1970s song by Simon and Garfunkel is very relevant: "Hello darkness, my old friend/I've come to talk with you again." That is how millions feel today: The darkness is our constant companion, a shadow that never leaves us, and from which we have no hope of escaping!

I like that - blessed are the peacemakers! Until we meet Him face to face, we live by His Words and His instructions!

Thanks, I know where to look for medical assistance if ever I am in the "West". If ever you need to experience that "A" name, come over to the East where music and dances in the house of the Lord do not stop at "A".. :)

Yan said...

Sarawakiana,

Yes, having stayed in both Sarawak and Sabah - I can feel how the Christians and Muslims respect each other, or just between difference races for that matter.

In my KK office which has a mixture of Christians, Muslims, Hindus and Buddhists, we celebrated Hari Raya, we exchanged gifts during Christmas, we visited each other during harvest day - at least, I have been through these few festivals there!

Isn't it the great commission that we are to love each other?

May God bless our land.

Yan said...

iml,

At work on the second day of surgery. Oop.. I think I feel more sick sitting around not doing anything!

Yan said...

ilene,

Thanks. Really time to think what should I do after retirement! I used to do cross-stitches, now it seems like cross-stitching is out! I have so many nice pictures not yet stitched! And I have given away all that I have stitched! Oop!

Yan said...

Another doc,

So, there is any doc!

That's nice - not half-healed - yes, fully healed, by His grace only!

Yan said...

SAHM,

May be you would like to read the full interview here for what this Nazri has to say?

http://www.theborneopost.com/?p=5003

Thank you for your kind wishes!

Bengbeng said...

Fully healed, that is wonderful. Hope to see you around soon.

Yan said...

Bengbeng,

Ya, would be home for CNY on the 9th and to Kuching only on 18th! Phew... 10 days in Sibu!

suituapui said...

Hope everything goes well and you'll be as good as new!

I really do not understand the squabble over some man-given name. Jesus said in the gospel, "Render unto Ceasar what is Ceasar's and to God what is God's."

Does it really matter what we call Him? It is who we are and what we do that will reflect God in us...and all this squabbling among fellow-men and the arson and bombing are certainly not what God's love is all about. "Love thy enemies. Do good to those that persecute you..."

iml said...

Come sat, youngest and I will be visiting the land below the wind of the 1st time. Flying into KK then to Sandakan for the great kinabatangan river cruise organised on behalf of the Nature society of Spore. Will write about it when I return!